Why have a chaplain?
- At the best of times, life and work can be stressful. It can sometimes be helpful to talk to somebody else.
- As people of faith, Chaplains understand that life can be hard work as well as fun, and know that there is more to life than simply getting up every day and going to work!
- We aim to provide people with an opportunity to talk about any concerns, whether its about family, work, or anything else.
- Chaplains provide someone independent for employees to talk to.
- Chaplains are also available to talk with employers and managers.
How does it work?
- Chaplains are designated to visit work places on a regular basis.
- They have been selected and trained to be good listeners and are available to talk with colleagues and customers (where appropriate) alike.
- They careful not to interrupt work, but will often snatch a few words with people as they go about their work.
- Longer conversations can be arranged held in private, and to not interfere with work.
- Any discussions will be completely confidential.
- The Chaplaincy team is there for everyone, whether they have faith in God or no faith at all, whether they profess to be part of the Christian faith or come from another faith background.
- For people from other faith backgrounds, our Chaplains will be happy to try and put them touch with someone appropriate and arranged a meeting.
- You may say “I’m not religious, so what can a Chaplain do for me?” Although our Chaplains are all committed Christians they are not visiting primarily to push religion! Their job is not primarily to convert people, but to listen to whatever you may want to talk about and to respond with the love of God.
- Chaplains are not employed or paid for by the employer.
- Costs are meet by the Christian churches in Basingstoke, to serve the local community.